I’ll lob you an easy one.
If my shock is overdue for servicing anyways, is there any reason not to have it PUSHed?
I only ask because I have no personal experience with PUSHed shocks and I don’t really know what I should expect with the service.
Thanks for your time!
Oh man, nothing’s easy. Let’s give this a try:
Reasons to get PUSHed
• PUSH Industries does great work.
• If you get their basic service, your shock will work good as new. PUSH says it works better.
• If you get custom tuning, your shock can work better than new. For me, on my 2005 Enduro, PUSH’s high-flow piston gave me a noticeable improvement in my square-hit compliance — compared with the stock tune. Back in 2004 I was riding all the time, and the difference was pretty amazing.
• Extra super duper cool factor. That blue O-ring says it all.
Reasons not to get PUSHed
• A straight-up FOX rebuild is as good as new and, I believe, costs less. FOX has service centers all over the world. Here in Boulder, CO I use Mike Luby at Dirt Labs (and I happily pay full rate).
• Today’s frame/shock setups work well for a wide range of riders. Very few riders need (or would notice) custom tuning. If you are much smaller, bigger, slower or faster than the typical rider, you might be a candidate for custom tuning. That said, most riders I encounter have no freaking idea what their suspension is doing.
• If you need (or want) custom tuning, you can get it from FOX Factory PROTUNE. On the FOX site they say: “You may find your suspension performing better due to proper set-up after going through these three steps. For the majority of FOX owners, this will be all that is required for proper set-up and PROTUNE may not be needed. … If you need further tuning after going through the tutorials, send us your product.” Interesting. FOX says most people do not need custom tuning.
• PUSH is a one-way upgrade. FOX will still work on your shock, but they will charge you to replace PUSH pieces with FOX pieces. I’m not sure how PUSH affects your FOX warranty.
• Racers: I often see the FOX truck in the pits. PUSH does not do race support. When I was at Sea Otter and needed service for my Stumpy shock — BAM! — FOX took care of me.
• Extra super duper cool factor. The PROTUNE stickers say it all.
Know more. Have more fun!
Join the leelikesbikes mailing list: